The Golden Fleece
York, Yorkshire 1503
“The seemingly narrow building has many stories to tell. Perhaps a normal passerby won’t see the difference between the Golden Fleece and any other pub in York, but the locals know it’s haunted” - The Little House of Horrors
The Golden Fleece pub was first mentioned in city archives in 1503, and was supposedly named as such for the gild members of Merchant Adventurers’ Hall close by, as this was their drinkery of choice. The Gild itself traded in fleeces and wool (hence the pub’s chosen name). Despite a few minor tweaks here and there, the Golden Fleece building remains essentially the same, with rumours that the pub is built on stilts rather than foundations… which may explain why some areas of the pub seem rather wonky.
The pub overlooks The Shambles, one of York’s oldest rows of shops and a very popular tourist hot-spot today (honestly, it’s like being slapped into a tin of sardines). The pub was built as a coaching house, as most pubs in the U.K. get their humble beginnings, and began operating as a fully-fledged inn from 1656. Although, it did not obtain a license until 1668.
In the early 18th century, The Golden Fleece was owned by John and Alice Peckett, with John becoming the Lord Mayor of York around 1702. Named after Alice, the backyard of the inn is called ‘Lady Pecketts Yard’. So, who haunts this joint?
Lady Alice Peckett
Reportedly walking up and down the stairs during the quiet hours of the night, guests have spotted a woman often regarded as the wife of the Lord Mayor, Alice Peckett. Many say that Alice moves furniture around if she disagrees with its layout, continuing to keep a managerial eye over the pub.
Canadian Airman
Geoff Monroe, a Canadian pilot, met his untimely demise after falling from one of the upper windows of the inn during World War Two. Guests report seeing the airman on the third floor during the twilight hours donning his full military uniform. He’s never once spoken to anyone, he just stands there… menacingly.
One Eyed Jack and his friend
There are two ghosts that come as a pair, and are very unpleasant… much like Statler and Waldorf. Nicknamed One Eyed Jack and The Grumpy Man, these two frequent the end of the bar (waiting for a pint?). One Eyed Jack wears a 16th century red coat with a hidden pistol inside whilst The Grumpy Man is said to mumble profanities if he is approached.
Victorian Child
The opposite of Dumb and Dumber above, there lives a little Victorian era boy spirit reported near the bar, softly giggling and pulling harmless pranks on guests. It is believed that he was unfortunately trampled to death by a horse whilst playing in front of the Golden Fleece.
Roman Soldiers
Roman soldiers were rife within York, so it is no surprise that people have claimed to see ghosts of Roman soldiers in full armour marching right through the cellar of the pub. Many claim these are simply echoes of the past, as they never interact with those nearby.
The Cellar
There must be tonnes of spirits residing in the pub’s cellar, as those sentenced to death by hanging were taken from Baile Hall to the cellar of the Golden Fleece to be stored once they had passed away. They would remain in storage until one of their relatives came to claim them, and in some instances I can imagine some were left unclaimed! How many unclaimed spirits must dwell in the cellar?

